MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme at UBC in Canada 2021
The University of British Columbia in Canada is welcoming applications for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme for Africans for the 2021/2022 school year.
The University of British Columbia (UBC) is happy to be collaborating with The Mastercard Foundation to nurture the next generation of African leaders. The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme at University of British Columbia will offer 163 intellectually gifted yet economically underprivileged young individuals from Sub-Saharan Africa with access to good and suitable university education at UBC.
After graduating, the MasterCard Foundation scholars will then make use of their learning and experiences to add to the economic development and social transformation of their societies in Africa. On their website, you can learn more concerning the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme at UBC, find out how to submit an application, and meet UBC’s present scholars.
Worth of Award
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme provides;
- All costs associated with UBC tuition, accommodation, and food.
- Recipients also obtain an allowance each month to support their stay in Vancouver.
Eligibility for MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme
To be qualified for consideration for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Masters’ Degree Programme at UBC, the candidate is required to:
- Have concluded a Bachelor’s degree;
- Should not prior to now have a graduate or PhD degree;
- Be a national or a refugee of a Sub-Saharan African nation;
- Have resided a substantial part of their life in a Sub-Saharan African nation
- Present economically underprivileged financial situations, and be able to prove a lack of financial means from family or other means to seek graduate education in their home nation or elsewhere;
- Have attained academic excellence under tough situations and displayed leadership qualities or prospect;
- Display an interest in and devotion to giving back to his/her local community in ways that improve the economic and social growth of Africa, through involvement in undertakings in their present profession, university or community;
How to Apply for MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme
The following are the application steps;
- Step One: Admissibility Submission
- Step Two: Additional Tests
- If your Bachelor’s degree program was not delivered in English, make preparations to take an English Proficiency Exam (TOEFL or IELTS) and send the results to UBC.
- Step Three: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme Eligibility Package
So as for the Selection Committee to decide your eligibility for this scholarship award, you have to display financial need, a devotion to give back and how your studies will add towards the transformation of your community, your region or your nation in Africa. You must:
- Fill out the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme Eligibility Form. If handing in a hand-written Eligibility Form, make sure that the document is evidently legible.
- Submit the Personal Statements. A response to each question not going beyond the word limit has to be typed and submitted:
- Please tell us your story. What is of significance to you and signifies who you are? (200-300 words max.)
- Explain a recent, significant involvement in your community, as well as what your role is/has been in the undertaking (200-300 words max.)
- What other things should we be aware of about your financial situation in order to give you consideration for this scholarship award? (200-300 words max.)
- Submit a CV/resume. This has to include any appropriate education and work experience
- Provide two reference letters. Please submit two recommendation letters on official letterhead that will confirm and speak comprehensively to your community service, volunteering capabilities, and leadership prospect.
- Transcripts. Please add a readable copy of your (unofficial) transcripts. If your transcripts are in a language that is not English language, be aware that you will be needed to also submit a translation.
- Submit the Eligibility Form, Checklist, CV, Personal Statements, transcripts, two reference letters on official letterhead, and signed declaration.
Application ends on December 11, 2020